|Ferris State (2-2)||0||0||0|
|Concordia University (4-2)||1||0||1|
|Ann Arbor, Michigan|
|1||31:07||Janaya Lothian (Concordia University)|
|Ferris State||Indv. Leaders||Concordia University|
|None||Goals||#13 Janaya Lothian - 1|
|None||Assists||#4 Julia Palushaj - 1|
|#20 Abigail Gilmore - 6||Shots||#13 Janaya Lothian - 3|
|#0 Grace Kraft - 2||Saves||#0 Maria Lulgjuraj - 10|
|Ferris State||Team Statistics||Concordia University|
|20 (10)||Shots (on goal)||7 (4)|
(Ann Arbor, MI) The Cardinals continued their non-conference stretch of games this week with a matchup against NCAA DII foe Ferris State University. After playing two top ranked NAIA programs last week (Marian and Spring Arbor), Coach Abbott this would be another test and opportunity for her team. The responded well and grinded out there way to defeat the Bulldogs 1-0 at their first home game of the 2017 campaign.
Here's Where it Happened:
Cardinal Stadium – Ann Arbor, Michigan
Ferris St. University (2-2) vs. Concordia University (3-2) - non-conference matchup
Last Meeting – Sep. 22, 2015 (L, 1-2)
Here's How it Happened:
- Janaya Lothian (JR/Hamilton, Ont.) gave the Cardinals a 1-0 lead as she found the back of the net for the 3rd time this season in the 31st min off of a cross from Julia Palushaj (JR/Northville, MI).
- While Ferris St. controlled the tempo in the first half, outshooting Concordia 5-3,the Cardinals maintained their 1-0 lead heading into halftime.
- Maria Lulgjuraj (JR/West Bloomfield, MI) was dominate in the 2nd half as the Bulldogs controlled possession for most of the half and outshot Concordia 5-1. The sophomore standout goal keeper earned her second shutout of the season.
- The Bulldogs would attempt 10 corner kicks to Concordia's 0 as the defense would successfully clear them all.
- Lulgjuraj set an individual career high with 10 saves and recorded her 11th career shutout.
- Cardinals have won their last 5 home openers which includes their last 3 at Cardinal Stadium
Here's What Coach Thought:
"It was a great team win for us today and I'm proud of the way we competed. This was our most complete game of the season so and we really had to grind out this win." - Head Coach Kristin Abbott
"Our last 3 games have been against really good competition and it was great to win our home opener. We have had stretches in our last two games where we could compete for the majority of the game but then have a small portion that would cost us the game. We kept competing for 90 minutes today and that was great to see." - Head Coach Kristin Abbott
Here's Where it will Happen Next:
Concordia will face their 2nd straight NCAA Division II opponent on Friday, Sept. 15th as they travel to Davenport University. This will be the first match up against former WHAC foe, Davenport since they joined the NCAA DII GLIAC. The Panthers came out on top in their previous match up against the Cardinals by a score of 1-0. The game is set to kick off at 4:00 PM.